Re-Edit Blog: Finishing the Film

 After getting back all the footage from the refilm it was time to reedit. This would be difficult as I have to make the new scenes flow with the old ones. I first started by reviewing all of the footage, new and old. I wanted to see what would fit in well. I then laid out the scenes on the timeline, replacing or extending the existing sequences as required. The biggest bit of feedback was to get better pacing for the film. This was difficult to juggle with the time limit being so low on the film. I tested out different cuts and adjusted to help make everything flow smoother and make more sense narratively. I continually watched back the film as if I was the audience to see if everything looked good and made sense together. Another very difficult part of this process was getting the old scenes to look the same as the new scenes. With them being filmed on separate days and times there was a visual difference in light and color. To fix this issue I spent time color grading the footage to make it look as similar as possible. This process was very tedious but crucial. Another thing I changed was how the music mixed in with the film. I lowered the audio more when dialogue was happening and did my best to match the cuts and action to the music. One of the last things I did was add in the new opening and closing scenes. These were both very different than the original version so it was difficult to make it work with the old scenes. After doing various combinations and cuts I finally got the timing and pacing to work well. I did one more watch through the entire film and made small changes along the way. When I finally felt done I sent the new edit to my group to see what they thought of it. 




(An image of what the editing software I used looks like.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Conventions Research Blog: Comedy

Other info: Organization of filming